Architect’s Guide: IoT Security
Every day, more things are connected to networks. These range from industrial machines to home appliances to vehicles and billions of sensors.
Data collected from these sensors and devices allows individuals and businesses to make better decisions and take advantage of new products and services. But, every new device that connects to a network is potentially instantly exposed to viruses, malware, and other attacks that could result in industrial espionage or safety and security issues. Proper security measures must be taken to protect against these attacks.
Critical strategies for architects included in the Architect’s Guide:
1. Assess IoT Goals and Risks
2. Manage Identity and Integrity
3. Encrypt Confidential Data
4. For Critical Systems, Use Hardware Security
5. Protect Limited Devices with Overlay Networks